SEEK WEEK #1
God Gold of the Day
‘But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. ‘
What is SEEK WEEK?
Background, Challenges, and Tips HERE:
So this is how SEEK WEEK will go, everyday I will send out one verse and that’s it. No words of mine or anything else just God’s pure Gold!!! And with that verse I challenge you to SEEK God. Spend some time to deeply meditate on what God is telling you, shut off our your racing thoughts of what you want it to mean or what you’ve got planned in your day, shut it all down and be still before God. Some things that have helped me recently to not just read it and move on through the motions is to;
- Write the verse down. This helps you hold it to your memory as you go throughout your day and as you write you have the chance to think deeper on each Word.
- Pray over God’s Word. Praying God’s Word over your life is so powerful, as you speak His truth out loud you are speaking this truth over your life. Also, you are praying so in that time ask God to help you see His truth in it, what it means, how this is to be applied, and ask God for help in living it. You have the chance to take your voice to God for help, He will never disappoint so don’t pass this time up.
- Putting away your phone or anything that could be distracting. This is a time to be still before God and we have an enemy that is a master at distracting us, taking our attention away from God. Why? Because the enemy knows how much stronger you’ll be after really spending time with God. Let go of distractions and focus in on God.
- Don’t overthink it. I don’t know about you but my thoughts are wild and will take me a million different directions. The tough thing about this is when our thoughts are going everywhere, we’re not spending time to really hear God, be still, and let His Spirit strengthen and speak truth into your life.
- Context is everything. It’s easy to read the verse, take it at surface level and read what you want to hear with it. I have a problem with this and if you’re human I’m sure you do too. We are self-centered and even when reading God’s Word we will seek the truth that we want to hear, the truth that makes us feel good and keeps us in our comfort zone. The TRUTH is, God’s Word isn’t meant to keep us comfortable in our ways, it’s there to reveal to us the depth of our brokenness and the steps of faith that will need to be taken to move out of the temporary pleasure we want into the eternal, FULL LIFE God has for us as we move faithfully. I said context is everything because looking over the whole chapter or book that the verse is found in is a way to detour us from getting our truth out of it and see God’s actual truth and intention in His Words. Don’t just take it at face value and get what you want, dig deeper and get the goodness that God has for you.
- Seek God. During this time, the most important thing to do is just seek God, seek His heart, seek to learn more about who He is, how He feels about you and your identity in Him as a child of God. Don’t complicate it too much, just seek God intimately and personally as the Father He is in your life, in this relationship you have with Him, treat like just that, a loving relationship. Grow in Him and seek His presence continually.
- Embrace the discipline. The last one and probably my least favorite with how much I love discipline. As much as it’s not fun to embrace change and building a habit, just continue to remember your desperate need for God and why this is important in the first place. Without God you have nothing, you don’t have what it takes, and life is hard. But with God, you still face the same day except with Him at the lead the day looks, feels and you live it a lot differently. Remember your WHY when you want to go through the motions or skip a day. It may not be easy at first but after a while it be a piece of cake, and the best tasting cake you’ve ever tasted without a doubt.
- It’s bigger than you. Of course starting the day to seek God is personal but the effects of that time spent with God is bigger than you. We go to God for strength, provision and protection so we can live out the “bigger than me” mission He’s called us to. As we rest in His loving presence, in His strength, as we live in Him and through Him, others lives will be affected, changed even and some may hear your excitement about your experience with God and decide to experience God themselves. It starts with you and God and with God in it, He always makes it bigger than just you!
Praying for you in this challenge of SEEK WEEK!!!!! God has so much more for us and the world around us, let’s not waste any more time going through the motions but instead seek God and embrace His more!!!!